If you like having dessert for breakfast you will love this. Its super simple with a very short preparation time. The sauce can be easily stored in an airtight container for 3 days. You just need a handful of ingredients. The pudding which we also call ‘firni’ is something I grew up eating. It is light and very healthy.
The sauce is my addition. I am sure a sauce made with any seasonal fruit would also taste great but am yet to try that. I replaced cow’s milk with coconut cream and coconut milk to keep it vegan. My little one gives me a tough time during breakfast. But this pudding with the sauce served chilled is his absolute favorite.
Hope you enjoy it!!
Semolina pudding with Berry sauce
Preparation time: 20 Mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Yield: Serves 6-8 persons
Roasted Semolina 80g
Coconut milk 400ml
Coconut cream 100g
Cardamom Powder pinch
Blueberries + Strawberries (frozen) 200g
Water/Orange Juice 1 cup
- Heat a pan and add the semolina
- Start roasting over a medium flame
- Keep stirring the semolina continuously with a spatula to avoid burning
- Roast till you can smell a hint of nuttiness and color changes slightly
- Whisk the coconut cream and milk in another pan and bring it to a boil
- Add the sugar & cardamom powder and stir until the sugar dissolves
- Next all the roasted semolina in batches and using a spatula or whisk to mix it evenly
- Let the semolina cook and thicken to the desired consistency. Let it cool.
- Heat a saucepan and add all the ingredients for the sauce
- Let it comes to a simmer, press the berries with the back of your spoon
- Once the berries are cooked through, turn off the heat, let it cool and blend it into a sauce with little water (if needed) to the desired consistency
- For serving, Spoon out the pudding into the bowls and top it with a tablespoon or more of the sauce.
- Add fresh berries and toasted almonds. Serve chilled.