People from the Middle-east have a special affinity towards fragrances. They can be mild or strong depending on the event. It is also an important part of their cuisine. Different spices or condiments are used to impart aroma into a dish. The most prominently used aromas are saffron, orange blossom water, rose, cardamon, etc., These aromas are used in savory and sweet dishes and even in beverages. I have always been attached to floral/fruity notes when it comes selecting aromas. So I used rose essence to flavor my labneh and honey to sweeten it. Since
Since Labneh is strained, thickened yogurt, it is healthy. When whipped with a little milk or sweetener it acquires a beautiful consistency. You could use rose water (1-2 tbsp) depending upon the desired consistency. Add little at a time. Rose water also enhances the rose flavor. Pista, pomegranate jewels and dried rose blooms give the dish a very royal feel. And mandatory drizzle over crepes is date syrup.
So here I present the most sought after French dessert/breakfast with a middle eastern twist: Crepes stuffed with rose and honey labneh.
Crepes with rose and honey labneh
Cuisine: French/middle Eastern
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Yield: 6-8 stuffed crepes
4 large eggs
1 ¼ cups milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ cup melted butter or canola oil
good pinch of salt
Labneh 300 g
Rose essence 5-6 drops
Honey 5 tbsp
Pistas 8-10 (chopped)
Date syrup 1 tbsp
Pomegranate jewels 2 – 3 tbsp
Dried rose blooms A few
CREPES (courtesy: Tati)
- Blitz together all the ingredients in a blender.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place your Tati Crepes pan over medium heat, and melt a knob of butter.
- Swirl to coat pan.
- Pour a thin layer of batter, swirl to coat pan
- Remove after approx. 15 seconds.
- Repeat with remaining batter
- Beat the Labneh with honey and rose essence.
- Fold the crepes in half and place 2 tbsp of the filling in the center and start rolling.
- Top with some more of the whipped labneh and drizzle date syrup.
- Sprinkle pista, rose blooms and pomegranate jewels