Creamy delicious firni (Indian dessert) layered with mangoes. Say hello to Mango Firni!!!
Would you take the risk of adding a twist to a classic dessert? Especially if you are expecting guests. I usually play safe and cook dishes I am confident with. But last weekend I took a tiny risk and decided to make my own version of Firni. it is a classic Indian dessert which is light yet tastes rich and delicious with saffron and nuts.
With mangoes in season, I am tempted to add mango in all dishes. And if you love mango, you should definitely try this one. Last year my first attempt at creating this dessert was met with failure. However, this time around it just worked perfectly. Failure doesn’t mean your ideas are wrong, usually, it’s the execution part that needs tweaking. I cooked, stored the Phirni and the mango layer separately. Layered them just at the time of serving.
The sweet layer of mango adds a unique texture, which was much appreciated. My only regret I didn’t make enough for a second helping.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Semolina 80 gms
Milk 500 ml (full fat)
Cooking Cream 100 ml
Sugar 40 (+ 20 for mango layer) gms
Mangoes 4 small or 3 medium (Alphonso)
Saffron 10-12 strands
Pistachios 3-4 tbsp (slivered)
- Toast the semolina over medium heat till it emits a slightly nutty smell, keep it aside.
- Heat milk in a deep bottom pan. Keep stirring continuously to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Take a few tablespoons of warm milk in a bowl and add the saffron strands.
- Add sugar and mix. Keep scraping the milk solids stuck to the walls of the pan. This will thicken the milk. Once the milk reaches your desired consistency add the semolina slowly say one tablespoon at a time. And stir continuously to avoid lumps. use a silicon whisk to mix the semolina
- Add the soaked saffron and cream. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- On another pan add the mango pieces and sugar. Let it cook over medium heat. Blend into a sauce. Add little water if needed to get a sauce-like consistency.
- Store both the semolina Firni and mango sauce separately. At the time of serving, layer the dessert and top it with toasted pistachios and almonds, pomegranate arils and saffron strands.