As spring slowly makes its way, we have already started missing winter. We might go for one more trip to the Jabal Jais, the closest mountains, before the temperatures start rising. I am planning to carry these easy Cajun shrimp and pineapple skewers along with some herb couscous. It makes a light meal and hardly needs any prep.
When cooked to perfection, shrimps and pineapples taste delicious. Cajun makes this dish shine through. Cajun seasonings consist of a blend of salt with a variety of spices. The heat comes from cayenne pepper and black pepper. Pineapple adds sweetness and freshness to the dish. I paired it with couscous, but they taste great as such or even in a taco shell.
I grilled these over a grill pan indoors, but fire can add a lot of difference to the taste.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
- Shrimps 250 gms
- Garlic 3 (grated)
- Lemon juice from half a lemon
- Cajun spice 3 tbsp
- Paprika 1 tsp
- Olive oil 2 tbsp + extra for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- Pineapples 200 gms (canned)
- Couscous 1 cup
- Broth (chicken or vegetable) 1 cup
- Garlic 1 large (grated)
- Parsley and mint (chopped) ¼ cup
- In a mixing bowl, place the clean shrimps along with the rest of the ingredients. Marinate for 15 minutes and mount them on skewers.
- Alternate a shrimp with a slice of pineapple. Grill them over a hot pan or fire with 2 minutes on each side.
- Place the couscous in a heat-proof bowl and pour the hot broth.
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes or until the couscous has completely absorbed the broth or water.
- Uncover and fluff the couscous with a fork. Add the herbs and sauteed garlic. Serve with cajun shrimp skewers.