Colorful food appeals to us. Beetroot happens to be one of my favorite ingredients to add color to my food, the natural way. I was worried that the shade would not be dark enough for the picture, but they looked stunning and tasted delicious. I wanted to share the recipe for savory beetroot crepes with whipped garlic labneh and pan-roasted cherry tomatoes on Valentine’s day. However, any day is perfect for a good recipe, right?
These crepes have the perfect color and texture. I had wanted to pair crepes with some labneh, and I got the perfect excuse. They taste delicious, and the pan-roasted cherry tomatoes add to the flavors. The good news is you don’t have to wait for Valentine’s day to try them.
The past week was hectic with me traveling to my home country. A lot of formalities and long queues later meet my family. It was worth it. After more than a year, I got some quality time. Long conversations over tea and uncontrolled laughter made it perfect.
When was the last time you traveled home?
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- Beetroot 250 gms
- Milk 150 ml
- Eggs 3
- Flour 80 gms
- Salt ½ tsp
- Labneh 4 tbsp
- Greek yogurt 2tbsp
- Garlic 1 large (grated)
- Cherry tomatoes 100 gms
- Mint leaves or parsley
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Grate and cook the beetroots to evaporate all the water. Place the cooked beets with the rest of the ingredients for the crepes in a blender. Blend to get a runny batter.
- Oil a crepe pan and pour half a cup of the batter, and swirl to get an even crepe. Flip and remove from the pan after a couple of seconds.
- Whip the labneh with Greek yogurt, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Pan or oven roast the cherry tomatoes with a little salt and olive oil. Cook till their skin gets slightly blistered.
- Serve the crepes warm with the labneh on the side topped with pan-roasted cherry tomatoes. Garnish with toasted almond slivers and fresh basil.
They are so pretty! Are they really ‘beety’ in flavor?
Not at all. I was pleasantly surprised. Thank you so much
LikeLiked by 1 person
Good to know!