Whenever I feel lost, I take a walk down the memory lane for some inspiration. Born and brought up in Assam I have always had a special spot for our indigenous cuisine. Assamese cuisine is one such cuisine which has not been explored much. And my idea is to create dishes with a little twist of my own…the Assamese Twist!!
After rice, Sesame is one such ingredient which is available in abundance and is used in a variety of dishes. It is used as a filling with coconut and Jaggery in our ‘pithas’ (a traditional sweet from the region). But not just in sweets, sesame is used in savoury dishes too.
Local chicken cooked in a paste of sesame is a personal favorite. So I decided to reinvent this dish as “Black sesame skewers”. A handful of ingredients and the kebabs turn tender and juicy with the flavors of sesame and pepper shining through.
Recipe for Black Sesame Chicken Skewers
Sesame seeds 2 tbsp
Garlic Cloves 2 medium sized
Paprika/Red Chilli Powder 1/4 Tsp
Black peppercorn 1/2 Tsp
Mustard Oil 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Soak the sesame seeds and black peppercorn overnight and blend it into a paste along with garlic and a little water.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with black sesame, paprika, and mustard oil. After 15 min, mount the chicken cubes on skewers.
- Heat a grill pan and once the pan is hot enough let the skewers sizzle. drizzle a little oil occasionally
- Grill for two minutes and turn the skewers once a side is done
- Serve with lemon slices and a dip of your choice