Gajar ka halwa or carrot fudge is a winter delight. Its made with carrots, ghee (clarified butter), milk, sugar, and nuts. Nothing fancy, and I love it.
It was my aunt who taught me how to make it extra special. She would drizzle cream over gajar ka halwa or sprinkle nuts. She made it a little more indulgent, and I loved the different textures in my mouth at the same time. Not that without these add ons, I won’t lick the bowl. The aroma of ghee and carrots is enough to make you drool.
I still love playing around with textures.
When it comes to Indian desserts and especially halwa, there is nothing much you can do to add texture. However, if you turn it into a parfait, it looks pretty, and you get to enjoy different textures. Plus the quantity increases……psst I didn’t say that.
And indeed, it can have a healthy twist too. So here is my relatively healthy version of carrot halwa layered with coconut cream.
Gajar ka Halwa
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Serves : 5-6 persons
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- Carrots 700 gms
- Dates 100 gms
- Sugar 30 gms
- Canola oil 20 ml
- Milk 60 ml
- Coconut cream 400 gms (1 can)
- Honey 2 tbsp
- Pistachios (crushed) 4-5 tbsp
- Grate the carrots and keep them aside. Heat the oil in a deep bottom and add the grated carrots. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to keep stirring over medium heat.
- Once the water dries out after 12-15 minutes, add the chopped dates and sugar. The dates become soft after a few minutes and then mix evenly. Keep cooking and stirring till the colour changes to a deeper shade.
- Add milk and stir till it reaches your desired consistency.
- Whip the coconut cream sitting in the refrigerator overnight with honey. Now layer the chilled carrot halwa with coconut cream and top it with crushed pistachios and serve.