Here is a tiny step towards exploring Korean cuisine. I had wanted to try Kimchi but never had the patience to prepare it from scratch. When I came across this Asian grocery store, I happily bought my first jar of Kimchi. The best way to enjoy it was in the form of Kimchi fried rice. I used a handful of pantry staples, and the result was a bowl of comfort food.
My first encounter with the term Kimchi was through a travel food show named “ Kimchi Chronicles.” I loved that show. Chef Jean and Marja shared beautiful dishes as they recounted their memories of Korea. This recipe is not authentic Korean, but what I thought will help Kimchi shine through in the best possible way in my kitchen.
The fried egg and the microgreens just brought the whole dish together. I hope you like it.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- Kimchi 200 gms
- Cooked rice 300-350 gms
- Soy sauce 1 tbsp
- Paprika 1/2 tsp
- Garlic pods 3
- Ginger 1 tbsp
- Onion 1
- Chili 2
- Sesame seeds
- Spring onions 1/2 cup
- Salt and pepper
- Egg 2
- Microgreens optional
- Heat oil in a wok or pan and add garlic.
- Once fragrant, add the chopped onions, ginger, and chili.
- When the onion turns translucent, add the Kimchi, soy sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well. Serve hot with a fried egg on top.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, spring onion, and microgreens.