These mango and saffron pancakes will blow your mind. Saffron and mango flavors blend beautifully. I combine these flavors very often for dessert. However, this was the first time I tried it for breakfast.
The recipe is simple and results in soft fluffy pancakes. I served them with fresh mangoes and mango sauce on the side. Since weekdays are mostly porridge and toasts, I reserve the weekends for special breakfasts for my family.
I am making most of this mango season. Mangoes are the best thing about summers. We are lucky to find the best quality mangoes. We usually purchase Alphonso, Badami, and Totapuri varieties.
The buttermilk was made at home and made the pancakes fluffy. I do hope you make them for your family.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- Flour 130 gms
- Egg 1
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Milk 220 + 10 ml
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Vanilla 1/4 tsp
- Sugar 2 tbsp
- Saffron 6-7 strands
- Mango 2
- Sugar 20 gms
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Water 2 tbsp
- To make the mango sauce combine the chopped mangoes with sugar, a little water, and turmeric powder. Cook till the pieces turn soft. Let it cool before blending into a fine puree.
- Combine 1 tbsp of lemon juice with 220 ml milk and let it stand for 30 minutes. In the meantime, warm 2 tbsp of milk and add saffron strands. Let the saffron release its flavor into the milk.
- Once the buttermilk is ready, stir in 2 tbsp of sugar, oil, and vanilla essence.
- In a mixing bowl, place the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Add the egg (lightly beaten) and the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Mix till well combined. Heat a pan and pour out a ladle of the batter. Wait till bubbles appear and then flip. Serve the pancakes warm with fresh mangoes and the sauce.