Winter is the best time to be in the UAE. Along with the shopping festival, Ripe markets and other outdoor activities, not only attracts tourists but also the expat population. One of my favorite places, only open during the winter is ‘Global Village’. Country hopping includes food stalls, textile shops, great home décor options and some great live performances regale thousands of visitors to the site every day.
One of my favorite stops is ‘Turkey’. The alleys are colorful with hand painted lamps, exquisite crockery, home décor etc. The very so tempting Turkish delights, ice-cream and Baked Potatoes. Yes, Turkish tourism…you are most welcome.
The baked potatoes stalls use the regular potatoes, bake them to perfection and load them with a crazy amount of toppings. So, I decided to bake the same @home, but used sweet potatoes instead, which are healthier with a high beta-carotene content (Vit. A). They turned out to be equally delicious. And with some magic ingredient as toppings, it’s like a complete meal by itself with carbohydrates from the potato, protein from beans and fat from yogurt. The Tzatziki sauce adds the freshness with cucumber and mint. Get Smart with Street Food and try out the Sweet Potatoes and bring some Turkish aura in your kitchen.
Baked sweet potato with beans and tzatziki sauce
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Red beans (kidney beans) – 1 ½ cup (pre-cooked)
Tomato puree – 3 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic – 2 cloves
Onion – 1
Paprika – ¼ tsp
Chilli (chopped) – 2
Sugar – ½ tsp
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Greek yogurt – 1 cup
Cucumber – ½
Garlic – 1 clove (mixed)
Black pepper – 1/8 tsp
Fresh mint (chopped) – ½ tbsp.
Cumin – ¼ tsp
Salt – as per taste
Baked bell peppers
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Line a baking tray with paper
- Poke the sweet potato with a fork for 5-6 times and bake for 45-50 minutes.
Red Kidney Beans:
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic and onion
- Fry them till the onions are soft
- Add paprika, chili, tomato puree and cumin powder
- Keep frying till oil starts leaving from the sides of the pan, then add ½ cup water and bring gravy to boil
- Add salt, sugar and the cooked beans
- Beat yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add in all the ingredients and mix well, done.
- To assemble just slice open the potatoes (like boats) pour the beans, add tzatziki sauce and toppings
Note: You could add any toppings of your choice: olives, chopped parsley or corianders, sour cream etc., I baked a red bell pepper along with the sweet potato with a drizzle of olive oil for 15-20 minutes.