I honestly don’t now how I got inspired to make this version of chicken. I had been wanting to use pomegranate on chicken for some time. Once I got the two ingredients, I wanted the red hues of the pomegranate to shine. And I kept adding ingredients which are red in color – red wine and paprika. Bringing in a red themed party with some wine thrown in too. It’s a sweet spicy chicken with hints of cinnamon. Here’s a toast to the magic ingredient of pomegranate.
Pomegranate and red wine glazed chicken
Course: Main course
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 25-30 min
Yield: serves 2
Chicken thighs 500 g
Red Wine 200 ml
Date Syrup 1 tbsp
Paprika 1 ½ tsp
Chilli 1 (chopped)
Salt and pepper
Garlic 4-5 cloves (minced)
Coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds to garnish
- Marinate the chicken thighs (skin on) with 1tsp paprika, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan, add some olive oil and fry the thighs skin side down for a minute or so.
- Remove the chicken when they turn golden brown. To the same pan add the pomegranate seeds, cinnamon stick, rest of the paprika, chilli, salt and date syrup
- When this mixture comes to a boil, slowly add the red wine
- Let it reduce for a few minutes to get the desired consistency
- Sieve it through a mesh to get a smooth liquid
- Brush it over the thighs arranged over a baking tray.
- Bake the thighs for 25 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 180-degree celsius brushing them with the glaze half way through.
- Serve with plain rice and drizzle the leftover glaze.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and coriander