A little inspiration for Meatless Mondays. Paneer Tikki mini burgers to take care of the constant requests for MacDonald’s hamburger. Kiddo loved the texture and spice.
Paneer is Indian cottage cheese, which is mildly salty and has a lovely texture. Paneer and potatoes come together as a great base. You may add grated carrots or any other vegetable to make it healthier.
The only hard part in these mini burgers was to give a perfect size. I took the liberty of adding Arugula leaves instead of lettuce; you may choose any other leafy green for the crunch. Microgreens are another great addition.
Instead of mayo, I used a mixture of labneh, mayo, and whole grain mustard. It makes it light and yummy.
I enjoyed making these with the help of my little one. I replaced the regular fries with veggie batons, and my job was done.
Preparation time: 15 minutes + (3 hours refrigeration time)
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes : 8
- Paneer 250 gms
- Potatoes 200 gms
- Onion ½
- Ginger garlic paste 1tbsp
- Paprika 1 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves ½ cup
- Cajun spice 1 tsp
- chili 1(optional)
- Egg 1
- Bread crumbs ½ cup
- Mini burger buns 8
- Arugula leaves 1 cup
- Cheese slices 3 (I used Gouda)
- Labneh 3 tbsp
- Mayonnaise 1 tbsp
- Mustard (wholegrain) ½ tsp
- Salt and pepper
- Bring some water to boil and cook the potatoes till soft enough to mash. Crumble the paneer, add the mashed potatoes, chopped onion, ginger garlic paste, dried spice powders, chopped coriander leaves, and chili. Add salt and pepper as per taste.
- Mix everything until well combined. Make patties to fit the burgers buns.
- Coat the patties in egg wash followed by bread crumbs. Let the patties chill in the refrigerator for a few hours (This is an important step).
- Whip the labneh, mayo and whole grain mustard.
- Fry the patties till golden brown and place in paper towels. Place the cheese slices on the warm side of the tikkis.
- Now it’s time to assemble. Warm the buns if you like, pile some arugula leaves or lettuce. Place the tikki with cheese slice, slather some labneh dip followed by ketchup. Place the top bun and enjoy.