I am trying to hold on to the mango season with these delicious spicy mango chicken wings. Mango works well with Asian flavors, and for a change, I wanted something savory and spicy. I have cooked chicken with fruits like pineapple, orange, pomegranate, etc. but never with mangoes.
I am sure any mango variety will work just fine; I used the Chausa variety for this recipe. It is not very sweet, but it is flavorful. You could adjust the amount of honey, depending upon the sweetness of your mango variety. Ginger and chili flakes bring the right amount of zing to this dish.
You can save the sauce for later use too. I am yet to come up with other possibilities that will do justice to the sauce.
With the onset IPL cricket season, the chicken wings will take care of your cravings as you sit glued to your TV Screens, waiting for the big hits.
I always make sure to reserve some sauce for serving on the side. I hope you do try these incredibly delicious wings before the end of the mango season.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 25-30 minutes
Serves : 2-3
- Chicken wings (skin on) 500 gms
- Mango sauce 3tbsp
- Soya sauce 1tsp
- Honey 1tbsp
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Ginger 1tsp (julienned)
- Black pepper ¼ tsp
- Ketchup 1tsp
- Flour 2tbsp
- Paprika 1tsp
- Spring onion ½ cup(sliced)
- Sesame seeds
For mango sauce
- Mango 1
- Chili flakes ¼ tsp
- Turmeric ⅛ tsp
- Honey 2tbsp
- Water ¼ cup
- Start with the sauce’s preparation: Place everything in a pan and cook till the mango is tender and all the water evaporates. Let it cool before placing it in the blender to get a sauce-like consistency. I prepared it a day ahead.
- Clean and pat dry the chicken wings. Mix the flour with some paprika, salt, and pepper. Coat the wings with the seasoned flour lightly and place them evenly on a tray. Bake in a preheated oven (180 degrees) for 25-30 minutes, turning them upside down midway.
- In the meantime, heat some oil in a pan, add ginger and garlic. Let them sizzle for a while before adding the sauces, ketchup, and honey. Mix till well combined.
- Once the wings are cooked, place them in a bowl and add the sauce. Toss the wings till they get coated evenly. Serve with spring onions and sesame seeds.
Note: These wings were placed on the lowest rack of the oven