Cauliflower Mac and cheese looks and tastes almost like Mac and Cheese. If you don’t believe me, ask my son. He happily eats and returns for a second and third helping, occasionally. That makes me a happy mamma. Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable. I have used it to make sauces, soups, and pizza bases.
The sauce is slightly grainy but tastes delicious. I use only two more ingredients, garlic, and onion, to make this sauce. The idea is to keep the sauce white.
I add pepperoni or chicken at times to keep things interesting.
Yes, this time of the year calls for comfort food and recipes that look good on your dinner table.
Make the sauce a day ahead and toss the pasta before popping it in the oven. I love this healthy twist on my mac and cheese. I avoid adding breadcrumbs, but you may add gluten-free ones.
Try it this festive season and see your kid gang leave with big smiles.
Preparation Time : 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 3-4
- Cauliflower medium size
- Garlic 4 cloves
- Onion (white) 1
- Cajun spice 1 tbsp
- Milk 1 cup
- Chicken stock one cube
- Black pepper
- Gouda cheese (grated) 2 tbsp
- Mozerella cheese (grated) 2 tbsp
- Parmesan cheese (optional) 2 tbsp
- Butter 1 tbsp
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Pasta 350-400 gms
- Pepperoni 7-8
- Roast the cauliflower florets and stalks with garlic, onion, and olive oil. Once tender, pulse them in a blender till you get a fine puree.
- Heat some butter in a pan and add the sauce, spices, milk, stock, and cheese.
- Gently bring it to a boil and toss it with cooked pasta.
- Pour the pasta into a baking dish.
- Grate some more cheese on top and arrange the pepperoni.
- Broil till the pepperoni change color. Serve hot.