Assamese people have a special bond with the banana plant. It’s considered auspicious and finds its place in weddings, religious ceremonies and during festivities. Every part of this magical plant is used. The leaves become eco-friendly, biodegradable plates. Even bowls are made out of the pseudo stem. The pseudostem is used to prepare organic soda ash (which I shall talk about at length in my upcoming blog posts) “Khar Khua Axomiya” is a commonly used phrase in my native land which means Assamese people love to prepare and eat a particular dish (khar) made of the banana pseudostem. Banana blossom in black pepper is prepared for lactating mothers as both its major components increase milk production. It can be paired up with duck or mutton. But chicken is my default. I prefer using bone-in chicken, making it more flavorful. Hope you all will try this recipe it’s just healthy, simple and easy to prepare
Chicken with banana blossom
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Banana Blossom – 1
Drumstick Chicken – 500 g
Whole black peppercorns – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1 chopped
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Garlic – 2 cloves
Salt – 1 tbsp
Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Remove some of the outer leaves and (4-5) and flowers of the banana blossom till you reach a firm intact core.
- Hold the blossom horizontally and start slicing it just like a leek, to get even round slices. Make them as thin as possible and soak in salt water overnight.
- Soak the peppercorns overnight or in hot water for 4-5 hours till soft enough to make a paste. Blend the peppercorns with the onion.
- Heat Oil in a deep bottom pan, add the cumin seeds. add garlic Fry the garlic till fragrant, then add the peppercorn and onion paste
- Add the powdered spices – cumin and turmeric and fry till oil start leaving the sides
- Add in the chicken and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Then add the drained banana blossom and cover the pan
- Add very little water if chicken starts sticking to the pan. Cook till the banana blossom is tender and cooked through. Add Salt and mix well and remove it from the flame
- Serve with rice.