As I sit next to my little one, in the corner of our bedroom where plenty of light seeps through, allowing me to write my blog with the mandatory tea and a slice of beet carrot bar, I recall some vivid memories from my Uncle’s Tea-estate bungalow. Winter vacations were usually reserved for spending time with uncle’s family in the tea estate. Even though I hated winters, I still longed to spend time with my uncle. The view from the balcony just made every dayrise and daybreak mesmerizing.
Life in a tea estate bungalow during winters is absolutely ethereal and my uncle was an adventure seeker, who peppered our stay with some riveting stories from his extensive travels. During the cold evenings, we would arrange around bonfires fighting the winter chills while uncle would narrate his stories to us. We would listen to him wide-eyed with an occasional gasp and wide-eyed moments. At times, we begged him to repeat the same story and he would wilfully oblige. He was an absolute nature and animal lover.
I recall receiving my first pet from him as he rescued it from the streets. An amazing cook complementing his wife. The kitchen would be buzzing in the mornings, as the helpers got the breakfast ready for the entire family under the supervision of our aunt.
One such morning, as I sat down lazily with my tea and unfurled the dog ear of my novel, my aunt handed me a warm bowl of fudge. Never in my dream, I imagined that the fudge was made with beetroot which was harvested the day before from their kitchen garden. The texture was rich, and it felt great to hold the warm bowl in my hand as the fog slowly cleared across the horizon filling the valley with the beautiful sight of rich green tea slopes.
So, every time I make this fudge, it brings back beautiful memories, and the winter becomes bearable again. Enjoy this guilt-free dessert with the goodness of carrots and beetroot. Close your eyes and imagine you are on the balcony above the tea gardens waiting for another story to be unveiled from the coffers of my uncle’s memory.
Vegan Beetroot Carrot Bar
Preparation Time: 20 Mins
Cooking time: 20 Mins (+4 hours freezing time)
Yield: 10-12 slices
Beet 200 g
Carrot 200 g
Desiccated Coconut 60 g
Date Syrup 1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp
Coconut cream 400 g (1 can)
almond flakes (toasted) optional
Cocoa powder 20 g
Coconut Oil 50 ml
Date Syrup 40 ml
- Grate the Beet and Carrots.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Add the grated carrots and beet. Keep stirring to avoid sticking to the base.
- Once the mixture changes color add date syrup and desiccated coconut.
- Reduce the heat and cook for a couple of minutes and add 2 tbsp of coconut cream.
- Mix to combine everything. At this point, the mixture becomes a little sticky.
- Pour it out on a prepared and lined (6X6′) tin. Press down and gently roll with a glass to make an even layer. Place in the refrigerator to set for an hour.
- Beat the coconut cream with 1 tsp of date syrup and pour it gently over the beet-carrot mixture. Refrigerate for 4 hours. After 4 hours place the fudge over a cutting board and cut into desired slices.
- Mix the ingredients for the chocolate drizzle and drizzle over the bars. top it with toasted almond flakes then let it set in the freezer for just a couple of minutes.
Note: you can replace the date syrup with any other sweetener of your choice like maple syrup.