Here is a decadent, indulgent dessert that will take you back to the childhood candy store. Salted caramel mousse is sweet and has the saltiness from the sauce to cut through it. I added the popcorn and lotus biscuits for some crunch.
Make the sauce a day ahead, as it takes a little care and attention. The texture is beautiful and works great as a drizzle. You can store it for up to 2 weeks in an airtight bottle.
Remember to use a heavy pan to make the sauce, as hot sugar can be hazardous. Make sure to turn off the heat once the sugar melts. Wear oven mittens to protect the hands, especially while pouring the cream. I used a steel pan and steel whisk.
I hope you do prepare this dessert to impress your guests.
- Sugar 200 gms
- Butter 90 gms
- Heavy Cream 100ml
- Salt 1 tsp
- Heavy cream 100 ml
- Whipping cream 100 ml
- Salted caramel sauce 2 tbsp + extra for garnish
- Lotus biscuits 10
- Butter 1 tbsp (melted)
- Popcorn (optional) garnish
For the sauce:
- Melt the sugar in a heavy pan. Turn off the heat and remove the pan from the stovetop. Gently pour the butter and whisk.
- Next, add the cream and salt, mix until well combined. Let the sauce cool down before pouring into glass jars.
For the mousse:
- Whisk the heavy cream till it gets a little fluffy. Pour the salted caramel sauce and mix until well combined.
- Whisk the whipping cream and fold it in half into the caramel cream mix. Crush the lotus biscuits with the back of a wooden spoon and mix them with melted butter.
- Place this mixture at the bottom of the serving jars and press gently with a muddler. Pour the mousse on top of the biscuit layer and place it in the refrigerator.
- Place the popcorns on top of each jar of mousse. Garnish with a drizzle of the sauce.