I have tried a few different versions of cauliflower soup before but to be honest I missed the spice. Sumac here came as a savior. It is a tangy lemony, red color spice used in a lot of Mediterranean dishes. You can add this to your hummus or falafel mix to give it an extra kick. Sumac roasted cauliflower or chickpeas are my favorite snack with a cup of tea. So, I thought of putting both the things together for a hearty bowl of soup. It’s super creamy and wholesome. My magic ingredient ‘Sumac’ makes this soup extra special.
Sumac Cauliflower soup with crispy chickpeas
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Cauliflower 300 g (almost half a cauliflower head)
Garlic 3 (medium)
Sumac 2 tsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Black pepper ¼ tsp
Vegetable stock 2 cups
Chickpeas ½ cup (canned)
Olive oil 1 tbsp
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and mix with 1½ tsp sumac, little olive oil, ½ tsp cumin powder.
- Arrange these florets on a tray and microwave for 12 mins on full power or you can roast in the oven for 20 mins at 180C
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan add chopped garlic followed by onion. Let it cook for some time.
- Now add in the cauliflower, mix well and place everything in a food processor along with a little stock to make the puree.
- Return the puree back into the saucepan along with the rest of the stock and black pepper, cook till you get the required thickness.
- Roast the chickpeas over an open pan along with ½ tsp cumin, sumac, black pepper and a little olive oil till they get crisp.
- Enjoy your soup hot with these crispy chickpeas instead of croutons.
Note: you can add more salt if you desire.