Well, I have been away for a long time. When viral fever got hold of me I had to take things slow. Especially with a hyperactive toddler, finding the time and energy to work gets harder and spare time becomes sparse. Thanks to the antibiotics even my taste buds temporarily got paralyzed.
But all this while even though I was away from cooking, ideas kept germinating. The first thing I wanted to make was a simple healthy wrap. All you actually need is a blender/food processor and you are good to go. The best part about these falafels is they don’t need to be dipped in eggwash or coated in bread crumbs…yay, good news!! The ingredients hold the falafel together. Usually, they are deep fried but I shaped them as patties or flat kebab and shallow fried them.
The feta cheese gives the falafels an amazing texture, sumac and chaat masala gives it the added edge. The cherry tomatoes salad is simple yet brings in the much-needed freshness and crunch. The sun dried tomato hummus acts as a binder for the wrap. You can find its recipe in my previous blog posts.
Healthy food can actually be delicious. And this wrap is almost like a meal in itself with the salad, carbohydrates, and protein. Wrap up your 2016 with a coming of age Falafel Wrap. That pretty much wrapped up this post with style. Right?
Feta Falafel Wrap
Preparation Time: 2 hours (including soaking time)
Cooking Time: 30 min
Chickpeas (soaked) 150 g
Garlic (medium) 3
Cumin powder 1 tsp.
Sumac 1 and 1/2 tsp.
feta cheese (crumbled) 3 tbsp.
coriander or parsley (chopped) 1/2 cup
Chaat masala 1/2 tsp.
Black pepper (freshly ground) 1/2 tsp.
Cherry tomatoes 12-15
Coriander or parsley (chopped) 2 tbsp.
lemon juice 1 tsp.
Sun dried tomato hummus : Recipe available in previous blog post
- Falafel: Soak the chickpeas overnight. Drain the water and place them in a food processor along with garlic, onion, feta cheese, cumin powder, sumac and chaat masala. Pulse to get a loose crumbly texture not puree.
- Add chopped coriander, mix well till combined and give a desired shape.
- Shallow fry the falafels on both sides for a minute or so till they turn golden brown.
- Cherry tomato salad: Chop the cherry tomatoes, onion and coriander. Mix them with lemon juice and a little salt.
- To assemble the wrap place a layer of hummus over the kuboos (you could use any flat bread), top it with 2-3 falafels followed by the salad. Fold the edges and enjoy.
Note: I didnot use salt separately as feta cheese is salty and so is chaat masala.
you could use any other hummus if you feel like.