It’s that time of the year when we desert dwellers bring out the grilling tools for some outdoor cooking. Here is a simple hummus bowl to give you some idea to kick start this grilling season. I like including some grilled and some fresh veggies along with some meat. It’s always good to have a dip for the veggies and kebabs. We tend to agree on hummus and some Arabic bread or Kuboos.
Most parks and some public areas in the UAE have provisions for grilling. The aroma of meat cooking over an open fire can leave you drooling. The supermarkets are flooded with excellent cuts and even marinated meat/fish, making it easier to plan outings.
When it comes to the choice of meat, I prefer lamb chops and chicken kebabs. When it comes to seafood, shrimps, and Mahi-mahi or red snapper work great for barbeques. I love making vegetarian kebabs with Indian cottage cheese or paneer. Corn, sweet potatoes, asparagus are our favorites from the veggies section.
I use basic seasonings to marinate, and sometimes it’s just salt, pepper, and oil. However, the yogurt-based Desi marinades are a great crowd-pleaser. The kebab here can be prepared at home and grilled outdoors. I add mashed potatoes to keep it light and filling. Ground meat is already a lot of meat, and I have observed I tend to eat more during outdoor gatherings.
I hope you do try this simple recipe with all the pantry staples.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Ground meat (lamb or beef) 400 gms
- Potato 1 (boiled and mashed)
- Garlic powder 1 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Paprika ½ tsp
- Black pepper 1 tsp
- Egg 1 (lightly beaten)
- Chickpeas can 400 gms
- Garlic 3 pods
- Cumin powder ½ tsp
- Tahina 1 tbsp
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice 1tsp
- Aquafaba/water 2tbsp
- Paprika ½ tsp
- Chickpeas 3 tbsp (Pan roasted)
- Pepitas 1tbsp
- Feta cheese (crumbled) 1tbsp
- Yoghurt 4tbsp
- Tahina 1tbsp
- Salt and pepper
- In a mixing bowl, place the ground meat with the rest of the ingredients. Mix with hand till well combined.
- Mount on wooden skewers and give the desired shape.
- Grill them over an open fire or cook them at home over a pan or skillet. Brush oil occasionally. Turn every minute to get an even char.
- Hummus: Blend all the ingredients to get an even creamy texture.
- Drizzle: Whisk the ingredients together.