Bhapa Doi or Streamed curd with jaggery is a delicacy from West Bengal that has gained its popularity across India. A simple dessert sweetened with the goodness of jaggery and steamed to perfection.
It is usually prepared with hung curd, milk, sweetener (sugar, jaggery, or condensed milk) and steamed in earthen pots. The result is a silky and smooth texture dessert. My version is a slightly healthy version prepared with jaggery. Usually, in the market, jaggery is available in solid lumps. The grating process is a little tedious and time-consuming. I am glad I got introduced to jaggery powder from Resonance Organics, which made my job easier. It is one of the quickest desserts I have ever made.
This dessert is somewhat similar to another version available in West Bengal and Assam. We call it “Mitha Doi” OR “Misti Doi.”
Back in Assam, I would eagerly wait for the meal to get over in anticipation of ‘Mitha Doi’ as the dessert. The “Mitha Doi” also comes in an earthen pot covered with banana leaves. The top layer is rich and creamy. The bottom layer is light and curd-like, and it’s usually light brown to pinkish.
My version of steamed curd with jaggery is light brown and sets perfectly after being chilled. I felt this dessert did not require any garnish with nuts or flowers. I just added a drizzle of the organic Coconut treacle. But it is optional.
I hope you enjoy this easy chilled dessert, which is good for your gut too.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Steaming time: 10-12 minutes
Serves : 4
- Yogurt 300 gms
- Greek yogurt 100 gms
- Jaggery 100gms
- Milk 30 ml
- Drain the excess water from curd and place it in a mixing bowl with Greek yogurt.
- Sieve the jaggery powder and measure the required quantity. Add it to the curd along with milk. Whisk till everything is well combined.
- Pour into desired bowls and cover with an aluminum foil.
- Place them in the steam for 10-12 minutes and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Serve chilled with a drizzle of coconut treacle.